Winter can be hard on skin for those with eczema (atopic dermatitis). Temperature changes from warm, dry inside air to cold outside air can dry skin out more than normal. Always follow your doctor’s recommendations and use these tips to keep your skin hydrated and reduce the effects of winter on your skin.
- Take a warm bath daily (or shower is eczema is mild).
- Use a gentle cleanser if needed.
- Use moisturizer or medicine within three minutes of getting out of the tub or shower.
- Use sunscreen for outdoor activities.
- Keep fingernails short.
- Avoid scratching, apply moisturizer when itchy.
- Wear soft fabrics such as cotton or cotton blends, and avoid wool and acrylic.
- Use dye- and fragrance-free laundry products.
- Identify and manage triggers.
- Wash new clothes before wearing.